Spicy Korean Style Soy Braised Chicken.
You can cook Spicy Korean Style Soy Braised Chicken using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spicy Korean Style Soy Braised Chicken
- You need 3 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken drums, thighs, or whole wings.
- You need of salt.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of oil.
- You need 1 of large potato, peeled and cut into 1.5-inch cubes.
- It’s 1 of medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/2" thick slices, vertically.
- Prepare 1/2 of a bell pepper (any color), sliced into 1/2" thick slices, vertically.
- Prepare 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- Prepare of optional: 1 or 2 jalapeños or serranos, halved.
- Prepare 1 cup of rice wine (I used Korean rice wine, but you can use a drier sake, or even a drier white wine in a pinch).
- You need 1/4 cup of regular soy sauce.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of gochujang (Korean red chili paste – you can use sriracha as a substitute if you don't have gochujang).
- You need 3 Tablespoons of white sugar.
Spicy Korean Style Soy Braised Chicken instructions
- Lightly season the chicken pieces on both sides with salt..
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sear each piece of chicken in the Tablespoon of oil over medium high heat in for 3 minutes per side and set aside, outside of your pot..
- In the same pot, saute the onion, bell pepper, potatoes, chilies, and garlic until the onions begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes or so..
- Turn the heat down to medium, pour in the wine, and deglaze the pan, scraping all the yummy chicken fond off the bottom of the pan..
- Add in the rest of the seasoning ingredients – soy sauce, gochujang, sugar – and stir to mix and incorporate all seasonings thoroughly..
- Add chicken back in the pot in one layer, turn the heat back up to medium high, and bring to a gentle boil (this should take 3 or 4 minutes)..
- Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer with the lid slightly askew for 20 minutes..
- Flip each piece of chicken and let it braise on the other side, uncovered, for another 25 minutes..