Korean fried chicken. Find Deals on Korean Fried Chicken in Groceries on Amazon. If you don't tolerate heat at all leave it out altogether do a taste test and add a tiny amount if you feel it needs a little heat. Nicknamed "candy chicken," Korean fried chicken is known for its addictively crunchy exterior and its thick sweet-and-spicy sauce.
Growing up in Korea, though, we often had it as our weekend dinner. Korean Fried Chicken – My Favorite! I am partial to fried chicken, all kinds of fried chicken. You can have Korean fried chicken using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Korean fried chicken
- Prepare 2 of # chicken (I used wings and drumettes).
- It’s 1/2 cup of potato starch (you can sub tapioca or corn starch).
- You need 1 tbsp of fresh ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh garlic.
- It’s 1/2 cup of soy sauce.
- You need 4 tbsp of gochujang paste (can sub Sriracha or sambal).
- You need 3 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 oz of Mirin (can sub rice wine vin or similar).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 1 quart of grapeseed oil (can sub oil of your choice) for frying.
- It’s of Salt and Pepper.
There is nothing not to love about chicken coated in a crispy, crunchy batter and deep-fried to golden perfection. For the pickled radish cubes: Combine the rice vinegar, water, superfine sugar and salt in a large bowl, whisking until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee, the author of "Quick and Easy Korean Cooking," said fried chicken became popular in Korea when fast-food places opened there after the war. Coat the fried chicken with the sauce: When the chicken is done, reheat the sauce until it bubbles.
Korean fried chicken step by step
- Heat your oil to 350°- 375°.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl put your potato starch. Individually coat your chicken..
- While oil is hot, fry your chicken for 12-14 minutes. Your going to double fry**.
- In a skillet, heat your sesame oil. Add your garlic, ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add your mirin, soy sauce and gochujang. Simmer for 5 minutes and add your brown sugar at the the last minute..
- After you're 12 minutes of frying the chicken, pull out of the oil and let sit for 1 minute. Add your chicken back into the oil and fry for an additional 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. (This assures your chicken is super crispy).
- After your chicken is fried for the second time, toss in your sauce or serve it on the side and enjoy! You can also garnish with sesame seeds and scallions if you want more presentation..
Add the hot chicken and mix well with a wooden spoon to coat. Remove from the heat and transfer the coated chicken to a large platter. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over top and serve immediately. Bonchon specializes in Korean-style fried chicken and a variety of savory Asian fusion dishes. Korean fried chicken or KFC, usually called chikin (치킨, from the English "chicken") in Korea, refers to a variety of fried chicken dishes created in South Korea, including the basic huraideu-chikin (후라이드 치킨, from the English "fried chicken") and spicy yangnyeom-chikin (양념 치킨, "seasoned chicken").