Simple homemade kimchi.
You can cook Simple homemade kimchi using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Simple homemade kimchi
- It’s 1 of napa cabbage (about 2 pounds).
- You need 1/4 cup of sea salt.
- Prepare of Water.
- You need 6 cloves of grated garlic.
- You need of About 2 tsp of grated garlic.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 3 tbsp of Korean Red pepper flakes (gochugaru) see pic below.
- It’s 5-6 stalks of cut up scallion.
- Prepare 8 oz of daikon or carrots grated.
Simple homemade kimchi instructions
- Cut up the cabbage into strips (I like it cut to smaller pieces) so when I enjoy the kimchi, I don't have to make them smaller.
- Add salt to the cut cabbage and massage the salt over the cabbage for about 5 minutes. Then add water to cover the cabbage and let it sit for about an hour.
- Get rid of the salt water and drain the caggabe with cold water about 3x in a colander. Use filtered water as the cabbage will be fermented without cooking..
- Get rid of excess water and in a large bowl, mix the cabbage with all the ingredients mentioned on the ingredient list above..
- If you notice too much water, remove it and add in the scallions and daikon or carrots.
- Mix everything thoroughly and the kimchi can be stored in jars or containers. Let the newly fermented kimchi sit for about 5 days before eating..