Brad's kalbi flank steak with carmelized onions. This steak is best cooked outside over either a gas grill or a wood charcoal fire (the latter is preferred). You will need that hot spice element in the marinade; in With a sharp knife score the top of the flank steak with four or five bias cuts. Wine note: Steak and caramelized onions are fabulous partners for numerous red wines.
Flank steak is paired with succulent caramelized onions. Their superpowers aren't well-known, but onions are actually a potent source of flavonoids like quercetin, which has cancer-killing abilities. To keep it from drying out, cook flank steak—which is leaner than its fattier sister cut, skirt steak—to no. You can have Brad's kalbi flank steak with carmelized onions using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Brad's kalbi flank steak with carmelized onions
- It’s of For the marinade.
- It’s 1 bunch of green onions, chopped.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 1/4 cups of soy sauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sherry.
- Prepare 5 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh ginger.
- It’s 5 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of sesame oil.
- It’s 1/4 cup of sesame seeds.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of garlic chile paste.
- You need 2 1/2 tablespoons of coarsely ground black pepper.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of black bean sauce.
- You need of For the steak.
- It’s 2 lbs of flank steak.
- It’s 2 of med sweet onions, sliced thin.
- It’s 3 tbs of butter.
- You need 1/4 cup of sherry.
- You need 1 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare of Butchers twine.
How to slowly caramelize onions to bring out deep, rich, sweet flavor as the natural sugars in the onions caramelize. Caramelizing onions, by slowly cooking them in a little olive oil until they are richly browned, is a wonderful way to pull flavor out of the simplest of ingredients. The onions are marinated with the steak, giving it a fantastic flavor. Grill the onions until by are brown and soft then serve them on top of the flank steak. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.) The onions are marinated with the steak.
Brad's kalbi flank steak with carmelized onions instructions
- Lay flank steak out on a LG cutting board. Pound out with a mallet until between 1/4 and 1/2 inches thick..
- Combine all marinade ingredients. This is a large batch, and can be frozen and used again..
- Place steak in a large zip lock bag. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of marinade. Remove as much air as possible. Seal and let sit overnight..
- Remove from marinade. Roll up and tie every 2 inches with butchers twine. Cut in between the ties..
- Heat a pan on low heat. Melt butter. Add sliced onions. Saute for 25 to 35 minutes stir often. 5 minutes before onions are done, add garlic and sherry. Deglaze pan and let liquid completely reduce..
- Meanwhile, heat a pan with 1 tbs oil over medium high heat. Place rolls in on end. fry 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until browned well. After browned on both sides, reduce heat to medium. Add 1/4 cup sherry. Cover and steam until liquid is gone. Turn over and repeat. Meat should come out rare. If you like it more done add a little more liquid and cook longer per side..
- Remove and let rest tented with foil for 5 minutes. Plate rolls. Add carmelized onion. Serve immediately. Enjoy..
Serve with steamed broccoli or asparagus, and The reduced balsamic vinegar sauce gives the flank steak a unique flavor that pairs perfectly with the caramelized onions. Season the flank steak with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium-high heat. Divide caramelized onions between baguette slices. Top with flank steak and a drizzle of remaining gravy.