Kalbi (Korean Style Cross Cut Beef Short Ribs).
You can cook Kalbi (Korean Style Cross Cut Beef Short Ribs) using 10 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kalbi (Korean Style Cross Cut Beef Short Ribs)
- You need of Marinade.
- You need 3/4-1 cup of sugar, depending on how sweet you like things.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of mirin.
- Prepare 3-4 cloves of garlic, grated (or 1.5 to 2 teaspoons garlic powder).
- It’s 1/2 of small apple, peeled and grated (or 1/3 cup apple sauce).
- It’s 1 cup of low sodium soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of toasted sesame oil.
- It’s 3 of green onions, chopped (including white parts).
- Prepare of Ribs.
- You need 4 pounds of cross cut beef short ribs.
Kalbi (Korean Style Cross Cut Beef Short Ribs) step by step
- In a large bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients in a separate bowl, stir or whisk until all the sugar is dissolved..
- To ensure the ribs get thoroughly marinated, I like to dip each one in the marinade to make sure it gets completely covered. Repeat until all are done..
- You can use a shallow baking dish or Ziploc type bag to store them while they marinate..
- Pour the rest of the marinade over the kalbi and close or cover..
- Marinate for at least 3 hours, up to overnight. Before cooking, if you have time, take it out of the fridge, spread it out on a sheet pan or something similar, and let it come up to room temp. (This should take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the weather.) Bringing meat up to room temp before you cook it ensures a better sear, so more juices stay in rather than run or steam out. If you're grilling on coals, this is a good time to get your coals started..
- Grill over pre-heated medium low to medium heat, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the cut. Careful for flareups from the sweet marinade and the fat. Gotta be watchful!.