You can have Kimchi Soup using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kimchi Soup
- It’s 1 tsp of plus 1 tbsp oil,.
- You need 3 of ⁄4 cup brown rice or noodles.
- It’s 1 of small white onion, halved lengthwise and sliced into half moons.
- You need 1 of small zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced 1⁄4-inch thick.
- It’s 1 cup of peeled and grated carrots or chopped.
- It’s 1 1/2-2 tbsp of Korean chile paste (aka Gochujang).
- Prepare 3 cups of vegetable broth.
- You need 1 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms, stemmed.
- It’s 2 cups of silken tofu, drained and cut into 8 pieces.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of kimchi, drained and roughly chopped.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- You need 3 tbsp of chopped fresh chives.
Kimchi Soup step by step
- In a small saucepan on medium, heat 1 tsp oil. Add rice and toast, stirring constantly until opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 minutes or you could use noodles, cook as per packet instructions and set aside..
- In a large saucepan on medium-high, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add onion, zucchini and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 6 minutes. Add chili paste and continue cooking until flavors blend, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Add broth and 2 cups water. Increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, until vegetables are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and tofu and simmer, covered, until mushroom.
- Are cooked, Divide kimchi among serving bowls and keep close at hand. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl and gently tip it into simmering broth. Set a timer for 2 minutes for soft yolks or 3 minutes for firmer yolks. Quickly repeat with remaining eggs. When timer goes off, ladle first egg into 1 of the bowls, doing your best to keep yolk intact. Repeat with remaining eggs in order in which you added them. Divide remaining soup among bowls. Sprinkle with chives and serve with rice or noodles.