Vegan Mapo Tofu. This vegan mapo tofu recipe is very similar to our ever-popular traditional mapo tofu. The main difference is that instead of ground pork, we're using finely chopped shiitake mushrooms to add. Vegan Crispy Stir-Fried Tofu With Broccoli.
I love mapo tofu from a small child and my mother always cooked this at home with her self-made red oil doubanjiang (chili bean paste). Vegetarian mapo tofu – So easy to make and irresistibly delicious. The tender tofu and mushrooms are simmered in a rich sauce that's bursting with flavor. You can have Vegan Mapo Tofu using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan Mapo Tofu
- It’s of For the Sauce:.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of Gochujang OR.
- You need 1 tbsp. of each Fermented Bean Paste and Fermented Chili Paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of Mirin or other sweet cooking wine.
- You need 2 tbsp. of Rice Wine Vinegar.
- You need 2 tbsp. of Soy sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Vegetable or other Stock.
- It’s of For the Tofu:.
- You need 1 tbsp. of Coconut Oil.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of minced fresh Shiitake Mushrooms OR.
- You need 1/2 cup of dried Shiitake Mushrooms, rehydrated in hot water for 10 min. and rinsed.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped Green Onions, white and green parts separated.
- You need 3-4 cloves of minced Garlic.
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp. of minced Ginger.
- It’s 2-3 of dried Chili Peppers, any variety OR.
- It’s 2-3 tbsp. of Red Pepper Flakes.
- Prepare 1 package of Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of Corn Starch dissolved in 1-2 tbsp. water.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp. of Sesame Oil (optional).
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp. of Sesame or Caraway Seeds for garnish (optional).
Ready in minutes, this vegan mapo tofu relies on a show-stopping sauce of fermented black beans, chili bean paste, and Sichuan peppercorns. Mushrooms make this vegan mapo tofu recipe tastier and healthier than the ground meat version. Mapo Tofu (麻婆豆腐) is an iconic Sichuan dish that's traditionally made from tofu, and ground Since the only ingredient in traditional Mapo Tofu that isn't vegan is the ground meat, it seems like a simple. It's healthy and rich in flavor.
Vegan Mapo Tofu step by step
- Bring 3-4 cups of water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Slide in the chopped tofu and simmer for 10 minutes..
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside..
- While the tofu cooks, sauté the garlic, ginger, and the whites of the onions over medium-high heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes)..
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking until soft..
- Once the mushrooms are done, add the sauce mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer..
- Strain the poached tofu and gently fold it into the sauce..
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning..
- Gently stir in the corn starch and sesame oil, and cook until the sauce becomes thick and shiny (3-5 minutes)..
- Serve over white rice or plain greek yogurt..
- Granish with the green parts of the onions, and sesame or caraway seeds (optional)..
Mapo Tofu is among the best-known dishes from Sichuan cuisine. Intensely flavoured with fermented ingredients, spicy hot which you can adjust. This Vegan Mapo Tofu brings together the flavours from both Japanese and Chinese versions of Mapo Tofu. The tender tofu is covered in a incredible aromatic spicy sauce with bits of mushroom. Mapo Tofu (or Mapo Dofu) recipe.