Kimchi Bokkeum (Kimchi Stirfry).
You can cook Kimchi Bokkeum (Kimchi Stirfry) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kimchi Bokkeum (Kimchi Stirfry)
- It’s 1 pound of pork shoulder or belly meat, sliced into roughly 1/4"thick, 1" x 2" pieces.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- It’s 2 cups of ripe kimchi with the excess liquid squeezed out (reserve 1 Tablespoon of the liquid for seasoning) By *ripe*, I mean at least as sour as a kosher dill.
- Prepare 1 cup of sliced onion (about 1/2 medium).
- Prepare 3 of green onions, sliced into 2 inch segments.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of gochujang (Korean red chili paste).
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce.
- You need 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (about 1 small clove).
- You need 2 teaspoons of to 1 Tablespoon sugar (depending on how sweet you like your food).
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of kimchi liquid.
- Prepare 3-4 Tablespoons of neutral oil.
- You need 1/2 Tablespoon of butter (optional).
- You need of optional toasted sesame oil.
Kimchi Bokkeum (Kimchi Stirfry) step by step
- Season the pork with the salt. I purposely add only a little salt to the meat because the kimchi is pretty darned salty, as we all know..
- In a large wok or skillet, heat about 2 teaspoonfuls of oil over medium high to high heat and wait until it's so hot that it starts to smoke. If you look closely, you can somewhat sorta see that the oil's so hot it's rippling..
- Stir fry the meat in two equal batches, adding oil to the second batch, until the meat is cooked through and browned on both sides. Because these slices of pork are a little big for regular stir fry, you may want to let them sit on the cooking surface for a minute or so to give them a nice sear before you start stirring. Set aside the cooked pork..
- Now add 2 Tablespoons of oil to the wok or skillet and let it heat up again before adding the onions, green onions and kimchi. Keep the heat on high as you stir fry these components until the onions start to become translucent..
- Once the onions are translucent, remove the wok from the heat and make a well in the center where you'll add 1 Tablespoon of oil and, if you like, a half Tablespoon of butter..
- Put all the seasoning components into the well and return the wok to the heat. Stir to incorporate all the seasoning ingredients and wait until you see the gochujang bubbling a bit – this is when the sugars start to caramelize..
- When the seasoning sauce has been bubbling for 20 to 30 seconds, stir in the veg and then the cooked pork along with whatever juices come with it. Add in 1 to 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil for flavor at this point if you like. Give it a few good stirs to make sure all the flavors are evenly distributed, and there ya have it – kimchi bokkeum..